Monday, February 15, 2010

Classmate shows concern

I'm a clutz. I know it, my family knows it, my friends know it, and perfect strangers know it. Curbs are mysteries to me; I never notice them until I trip over them. Poles are invisible to me until I walk into them. I don't have bruises often - I always have bruises. Pointy corners, door knobs, armrests... my enemies, all of them.

I've been fairly successfully hiding this tidbit about myself from my new classmates... until today. At the halfway mark of my 3 hour writing class, we were released for a 15 minute break. I wandered to the bathroom for no reason, then wandered back to class. The only people in the room at this point are me, the guy that was sitting next to me, and someone across the room.

So I strut back into the room, tights, skirt, knee high boots and all. I make my way toward my seat, and that's where things went horribly wrong. See, under the windows, there are heating elements. They have knobs to adjust the temp. My knee hit one of the knobs with a vengeance. The local equivalent of "FUCK SHIT OW DAMN!" comes out of my mouth as the knob literally snaps off and goes flying. Almost instantly, the guy in the seat next to me jumps up to make sure I am okay (thank you, guy next to me) and attempts to fix the knob. Knob is a lost cause.

GNTM cracks a few jokes about how I must have decided that no one was allowed to control the room temperature, etc etc, and all is well. A few mintes later, class resumes. We are told to edit each others papers. Pencil in mouth, eyebrows furrowed in concentration, I grab the armrests of my chair to scoot forward closer to my desk.

I silently scream as my thumb gets jammed in between the metal armrest of my chair and the metal leg of the desk. Half crying, half laughing, my head falls down onto the table as GNTM looks at me, eyes full of confused concern, wondering what the heck I just did to myself.

You know you've made quite the failed impression when the last thing a new acquaintance says to you before you part ways after class is "I'll find you on Facebook later to make sure you made it home okay without dying."

0 comments:

Post a Comment